All three and four-year-olds in Medway are entitled to 15 hours of free nursery education for 38 weeks of the year.
Children in Medway can receive their free nursery education:
- at a school nursery class;
- by attending a registered pre-school or nursery;
- by being placed with a childminder.
Some nurseries, pre-schools and most childminders operate for longer than 15 hours a week and/or more than 38 weeks per year. At some of these you may be asked to pay a fee for the extra hours or days that your child attends.
- A child born on or between 1 April and 31 August will become eligible for a free place from 1 September following their third birthday.
- A child born on or between 1 September and 31 December will become eligible for a free place from 1 January following their third birthday.
- A child born on or between 1 January and 31 March will become eligible for a free place from 1 April following their third birthday.
Your child will be entitled to a free part-time place from the beginning of the school term (one, three or five) when they have reached the eligible age.
Once your child enters the reception class of a primary school, the nursery education arrangements will stop.